chapter 24. 20 october (1993)

Dear Mr. Collins,

I hope this letter finds you doing well. I have a strange question to ask you. Did you have a family member involved with the Branch Davidian Church in Waco, Texas when it burned down, or ever? Randy mentioned to me that he believed your father was there, but he was never for sure.

I’m asking because Randy was in Waco on 19 April, when the tragedy was happening. He wasn’t with the Branch Davidians. He was in town, at a hotel. But he had gone there in hopes of possibly connecting with your father. and in my opinion he went there in hopes of somehow connecting with you

Maybe this letter is out of line, but I’ve had a couple glasses of wine, so...

Randy has shown me some of the plays you and he worked on together. Something called “august chagrin.” I would be happy to send these plays to you if you would like them, after he passes. I am not trying to be melodramatic here, this is simply the reality we must face.

Randy has written other stories more recently. He keeps the plays and stories and all of his work in a black box I got for him at Office D the office supply store. I would love to be able to send the box to you. Please just give any sign that you are actually out there, Mr. Collins!

I am honestly afraid to be entrusted with Randy’s art work. I don’t know the first thing about the arts. I am a massage therapist and a part-time office manager at of a Buddhist sangha, where I spend as much of my free time as possible.

I have read some of Randy’s stories, with his blessing permission (actually he asked me to read them) and it is all very interesting, well-crafted stuff work, but I and I think it should be in the hands of someone other than me. Simple as that.

Other than you, if there is some place you would suggest I where I could send the box, I would appreciate any help you could offer. I am enclosing a blank postcard, stamped and addressed to me, in hopes of making it as easy as possible for you to respond. If you want to drop the postcard in a mailbox blank, if you will do just that much, I will take that as a yes and send the box to you.

Peace, Ami