chapter 06. 10 september (1993)

Dear Mr. Collins,

My name is Amitodana. I am the woman who mailed the letter from Randy Reardon to you a few days ago. There was a misunderstanding, about which I am quite embarrassed. Randy didn’t intend for that letter to be sent. Not to be making excuses for myself, but the letter was in an envelope, addressed and only in need of a stamp, so I thought I was doing him a favor.

Between you and me, he has asked several times since if you have replied, so I think maybe he is a little happy that I sent it. He is afraid you haven’t received it, but that he won’t know because there wasn’t a return address on the envelope and he doesn’t have a phone.

That is why I am writing to you, Mr. Collins, to let you know about Randy’s condition and to ask you to contact him. I don’t know what his letter said to you said, or what you know about him otherwise, but Randy is not doing too good. well. He is in the hospital right now and will be going into hospice in the next couple of days, as soon as a bed becomes available.

I do not know you, Mr. Collins, so I don’t know if this letter is inappropriate, and I apologize if that is the case. But let me please allow me to go on the assumption that you would want to know this information, as hard as it may be to hear.

I am the only person Randy knows in Austin, and of the friends we have discussed, he seems to speak most fondly of you. He has told me many wonderful stories of your performances. He has also told me you are from Houston, so I thought there might be a small chance that you would be down this way and could visit him. Or maybe Randy knows family members of yours who could visit him.

He has been pretty down about his situation and I know it would do him a world of good to hear from a friend. I am enclosing my card with the hours I am there on the back, if you would like to call me. even if you want need to call collect. I don’t think feel there is any sense in giving you the number at the hospital since Randy will be leaving there soon, but I will be happy to give you the number at the hospital as hospice as soon as we get know it.

I am happy to spend time with Randy. I have only known him a short while. He is my neighbor. But we have made a special bond, if you will. We are friends. I love him, as I know you do.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter.

Peace,

Amitodana Metta Sutta